A life without Mac & Cheese is simply not LIVING!! LOL I kid, I kid… but in all seriousness if you didn’t already know you totally CAN clean up this classic comfort food so it fits in with your new, healthier lifestyle… YOU’RE WELCOME!! :D BONUS: It's perfect for the kiddos, made with REAL cheese, and you’ll have leftovers to love on for days! Mac + Results!? YES PLZ.
1 lb. dry whole wheat macaroni
1 tsp. EVOO
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium red bell peppers, chopped
3 cups cubed butternut squash
1¾ cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
1 cup low-fat milk
2 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (can sub with Swiss)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
Nonstick cooking spray
Finely chopped fresh parsley (optional garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Cook your macaroni according to the package. Once you drain, set aside.
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and then add the onion and bell peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, for ~5 minutes then set aside.
4. Combine squash, broth, and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium; gently boil until squash is tender (~15 mins).
5. Place squash mixture in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
6. Combine squash mixture, macaroni, onion mixture, yogurt, and cheeses. Season with salt and pepper (optional) and mix well!
7. Place macaroni mixture in a 13 x 9-inch ceramic or glass baking dish that has been coated with spray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling! 8. Garnish with parsley (optional).
This recipe will make ~10 servings, 1.5 Cups each!! <3